Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    45 migrants die, 61 missing as two boats sink off Djibouti

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 2, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    66 migrants rescued as boat mishap kills one 
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    No fewer than 45 people have died and many others are missing after two migrant boats capsized off the coast of Djibouti, officials say.

    The boats departed Yemen on Tuesday, carrying 310 people, before sinking in the Red Sea off the east African country, according to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).

    “To date, 61 individuals are still missing, and the search operations are continuing relentlessly,” Djibouti’s coastguard said.

    It is the latest boat disaster to hit the route, known as one of the busiest and most perilous in the world, used by refugees and migrants from Africa.

    A “large-scale search” is ongoing since early on Monday, assisted by IOM, with 115 people now rescued, Djibouti’s coastguard said.

    “We remain committed to finding the missing persons and ensuring the safety of the survivors,” the agency said in a statement.

    The boats sank 150 meters (492 feet) off a beach in Djibouti’s north-west Khor Angar region, according to the coastguard.

    Every year, thousands of African migrants sail over the Red Sea to the oil-rich Gulf, hoping to escape warfare, natural disasters, and poor economic prospects.

    In June, a boat from Somalia collapsed in the Gulf of Aden, off Yemen’s south coast, killing at least 56 Somali and Ethiopian migrants and leaving 140 others missing.

    The victims included 31 women and six children. The number of migrants coming into Yemen from the Horn of Africa increased from over 73,000 in 2022 to more than 97,200 last year, according to the IOM.

    The majority of them are forced to rely on smugglers, who often use dangerous and overcrowded boats to make the crossing.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.