Iran foreign minister Javad Zarif rejects US meeting

Iran foreign minister Javad Zarif has said there is no meeting with the US after sanctions Photo: REUTERS
Iran foreign minister Javad Zarif has said there is no meeting with the US after sanctions Photo: REUTERS

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said there was no meeting planned with US officials including his counterpart Mike Pompeo at the United Nations General Assembly, the semi-official news agency Tasnim reported on Saturday.

Asked about the likelihood of a meeting with US officials, including Pompeo, on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly, Zarif said: “No, no such meeting is planned. We have repeatedly announced our position,” Tasnim reported.

Earlier this week, the United States re-imposed sanctions on Iran in line with President Donald Trump’s decision to pull out of a 2015 agreement over Iran’s nuclear program.

READ: Plane stolen from Seattle-Tacoma airport crash near island

Zarif also condemned Trump’s metal tariff on NATO and especially Turkey.

On his Twitter account, he warned that the rest of the world might be forced to get Donald Trump to comply.

“Trump’s jubilation in inflicting economic hardship on its NATO ally Turkey is shameful,” he tweeted this morning.

“The US has to rehabilitate its addiction to sanctions & bullying or entire world will unite—beyond verbal condemnations—to force it to. We’ve stood with neighbors before, and will again now.”

Please follow and like us:
0

Leave a Reply