Ekiti: Rescheduled APC governorship primary holds May 11

APC Ekiti governorship primary has been rescheduled to hold on 11 May

The rescheduled governorship primary of the Ekiti All Progressives Congress (APC) will now hold on Friday, 11 May.

The party announced the new date today following an emergency meeting of its leadership, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, the national publicity secretary said.



The primaries held last Saturday was disrupted after dozens of aspirants allege rigging by former governor Kayode Fayemi.

It was not clear if the party had resolved the issues raised by many of the 33 contestants, who accused the Governor Tanko Al-Makura and his committee of attempting to rig the election in Fayemi’s favour.

READ: Zora Neale Hurston’s book on Nigerian kidnapped to US released after 87 years

The contestants, who also passed a vote of no-confidence on the committee and asked that the election be held afresh and votes already cast by delegates from five local councils be cancelled.

The ruling party in the state, the Peoples Democratic Party is holding its primary today to pick its torch bearer, for the election that will take place in July.

No fewer than 27 aspirants have rejected the position canvassed by the NWC of the party that the botched primary would continue from where it ended on Saturday.

Some of the aspirants led by former governor Segun Oni on Monday met at a location in Ado Ekiti and rejected the position of the NWC that the committee which conducted the primary should return and complete the exercise.

The aspirants, who were reacting to a statement credited to the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, said that the ballot cast on Saturday in five local governments before the violence erupted had been rendered invalid.

Among those present at the forum, apart from Oni, were Senator Babafemi Ojudu, Opeyemi Bamidele, Bimbo Daramola, Senator Ayo Arise, Senator Gbenga Aluko, Kola Alabi, Muyiwa Olumilua, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, Debo Ranti Ajayi and Dr Bayo Orire.

The spokesperson for the group, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, said the fact that the votes were not counted, collated and announced at the venue, had rendered the process invalid.

She declared that the 27 aspirants would not accept attempts to validate unverified results of the few delegates that had cast their votes on Saturday neither would they accept the Tanko Al-Makura-led committee again as umpire.

Leave a Reply

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com