Yobe governor says Nigerian Army rescued no missing schoolgirls

Governor Ibrahim Gaidam has claimed that the Nigerian Army has not rescued any of the Dapchi missing schoolgirls

Yobe state governor, Ibrahim Gaidam on Thursday told residents of a village that no missing girls had been rescued following a Boko Haram attack, according to four of those who heard the official speak.

On Wednesday, the government of the northeastern state, where the girls’ village of Dapchi is located, told locals that 76 schoolgirls feared missing had been rescued by the Nigerian military.

 

Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, Director General to Yobe governor on press affairs disclosed through a press statement that the Nigerian Army had rescued some of the 111 missing schoolgirls.

The statement read, “The Yobe State Government hereby informs the public that some of the girls at Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) whose school was attacked by Boko Haram terrorists last Monday have been rescued by gallant officers and men of the Nigerian Army from the terrorists who abducted them.

READ: Osinbajo seeks collaboration among African countries

“The rescued girls are now in the custody of the Nigerian Army.”

But in a shock reversal, Governor Gaidam rubbished the statement when he told inconsolable parents that any of the girls were rescued.

The statement issued by Bego had also indicated that, “His Excellency Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, who is very grateful for the gallantry and hard work of the officers and men of the Nigerian Army involved in the operation, is monitoring the situation closely and will make a statement in due course” the statement said.