Islamic State claims responsibility for Nigeria attack

Islamic State has claimed attack in northest Nigeria

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack in northeast Nigeria that killed eight soldiers and a civilian and injured five other people on Tuesday, a statement by the group said on Thursday.

“The fighters took three four-wheel-drive vehicles and others mounted with rifles and heavy weaponry and various ammunition,” the statement said.

The group did not provide evidence for its claim.

Chronicle NG had earlier reported that at least six soldiers were killed in heavy fighting when Boko Haram raided a military base and looted food from villagers in northeast Nigeria.

Jihadists in six pick-up trucks stormed the base in Sasawa village, some 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the Yobe state capital, Damaturu, at about 5:00 pm on Tuesday.

READ: British designer, Giles Deacon brings charm to GTBank Fashion Weekend

Colonel Kayode Ogunsanya told AFP from Damaturu: “There was an attack by Boko Haram terrorists on a military location in Sasawa village which led to casualties on both sides.”

He gave no further details but a local chief in the area said: “Six soldiers died in the attack along with several Boko Haram fighters.

“Heavy fighting broke out and continued till midnight,” he said on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

“When the gunmen realised they would be subdued, they sent for reinforcements and more fighters arrived in three trucks.”

They overran the base, forcing the soldiers to withdraw.

Rebel fighters then moved into the village, which had been deserted by residents to escape the fighting.

Another local resident, Aisami Gremah, supported the chief’s account.

Please follow and like us:
0