According to the Zonal Coordinator of WAEC in Kaduna, Fidelis Gaiya, who told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) the fire started at about 9:50 a.m. The fire is reported to probably be as a result of an electrical fault. He added that no WAEC staff or any other person died in the inferno.
Gaiya also disclosed that the ongoing Senior School Certificate Examination won’t be affected by the fire outbreak.
“We are running on generator. When they restored electricity, we saw smoke all over the place.
“We are grateful that no life was lost because most of our staff members were out to their various examination centres,” he explained.
The WAEC boss gave kudos to the Federal Fire Service, Nigeria Air Force, State University and State Fire Service for their prompt response in putting out the fire.
The Deputy Controller of Federal Fire Service, Thompson Mohammed in his response urged Nigerians to have fire extinguishers installed in their offices to tackle such emergencies.
“I am sure if there were fire extinguishers here with trained men, the damage would have been minimal,” he said